Their timeline showcases some of the milestones and successes covered within just a decade and a half of Goggling (that's definitely right... I Googled it). Interestingly there nothing in there about privacy scandals or tax evasion, but nonetheless it's an interesting piece.
Here are my best bits...
- 1 billion Android devices (Sept 2013) - as an avid fan of Android, despite the iPhone peer pressure, it did the heart good to hear of the 1 billionth device activation. GO TEAM ANDROID!
- Google Play (Mar 2012) - making bus journeys bearable.
- Google+ Pages (Nov 2011) - another social network for me to play with... yum yum yum
- Chrome Experiments (Aug 2010) - this Arcadia Fire interactive was so amazing I must have watched it a thousand times. Brought the internet to life for me in a big way.
- Google Chrome (Sept 2008) - MEOW! Welcome to sexy web browsing. Rendering IE obsolete almost overnight... because everything just works in Chrome.
- Google Analytics (Nov 2005) - without it I wouldn't have a job... not that I'd be unemployed you understand... just working in a pub or something instead.
- Google Maps (Feb 2005) - come on! Where would we be without it? Lost... that's where.
- GMail (April 2004) - made it easy to email. Launched on April Fools' Day. Always updating and improving. If I didn't get so much junk I'd use it even more.
- First Google Doodle (Aug 1998) - and who doesn't love a doodle? Interesting to see that the first one ever was a message to users saying that the developers were off partying at Burning Man... huh!
- In the beginning (Early Years) - scroll to the bottom and check out the first draft of Google Search. Web Designer's nightmare. How far they've come.
OK, so it's a big list. But imagine a world without Google. Just for a second. It's a scary reality. We'd probably have to learn to use libraries again... the horror!